Avocado is now dubbed as an almost complete food because of the many nutrients it contains coupled with numerous health benefits a very good news for avocado lovers like me!
The avocado is colloquially known as the alligator pear because of its shape and color. Here are its health benefits as discovered by health experts:
1. Promotes Heart Health
Avocado is now included in the list of foods that are good for the heart. It is the only fruit found out to contain monounsaturated fats (more than 50% of the fruits content comes from monounsaturated fats). Furthermore, avocados are cholesterol- and sodium-free.
2. Anti-inflammatory Benefits
Avocado is highly recommended for people who want to get rid of unwanted inflammation problems like arthritis. The fruits anti-inflammatory nutrients can be classified into five categories:
- carotenoid antioxidants, including lutein, neoxanthin, neochrome, chrysanthemaxanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, violaxanthin , beta-carotene and alpha-carotene
- other (non-carotenoid) antioxidants, including the flavonoids epicatechin and epigallocatechin 3-0-gallate, vitamins C and E, and the minerals manganese, selenium, and zinc
- omega-3 fatty acids, in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (approximately 160 milligrams per cup of sliced avocado)
- polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols (PSA)s
3. Promotes Blood Sugar Circulation
Avocado is a low-carb food, with about 19% of its calories coming from carbs. It is also low in sugar, containing less than 2 grams of total sugar per cup. One cup of avocado contains 7-8 grams of dietary fiber which is responsible for the healthy blood sugar regulation.
4. Anti-Cancer Benefits
Research has shown and proven that avocado can indeed help prevent the occurrence of cancers in the mouth, skin and prostrate gland. The anti-cancer properties of avocado are definitely related to its unusual mix of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutrients.
Avocados can be prepared differently in many countries. Where I come from in the Philippines, it is usually eaten with sweetened milk. In some countries, they include avocados in a salad, while some cook them with beans.
How ever you prepare avocado, its health benefits are impressive and should be included in our diet.